Pop-Up Butterfly Shaker

I feel like it’s been ages since I last made a shaker card, but actually it’s only been a few weeks. How strange! I really like shakers but I struggle with them because I don’t have much in the way of shaker materials. I have the pretty iridescent butterflies visible in the picture above, a variety of stars, and some sequins that came in a card kit. I think I need to invest in some all-purpose sequins so that I can make more shakers!

The starting point for this card was the shaker. I picked out a snippet of blue paper to make it because I felt it would go well with the blue tones in the butterflies. Of course after that every time I looked at the butterflies they looked accusingly green, but never mind. I used both of the dies from Tonic Studios’ Butterfly Juliet Rococo Die & Stamp Set centred in a retired Memory Box square die and ran them through my Big Shot in one go. I used the same square die to cut a piece of acetate for my window and also a piece of white card to be the back of the shaker area. I then turned the blue panel over and used some Glossy Accents to attach the acetate.

Once that was in place I started adhering a double layer of foam tape around the edges of the square as well as up against the butterfly to keep the shaker material contained to that area. I added some of the iridescent butterflies to the shaker area along with some iridescent flowers. Then I took a hole punch and punched some circles of silver and dark blue mirror card to create some makeshift sequins as extra filler. I then removed the backing tape from the foam and pressed the white square onto the back. After a test shake I realised I probably shouldn’t have added foam tape between the bottoms of the wings, because the sequins were getting stuck down there… So I painstakingly peeled up enough of the white backer to be able to remove that portion of the foam tape, then adhered the square back into place. It shakes better now but still not brilliantly. I think perhaps tripling rather than doubling the foam tape may have helped. The butterfly still looked like it was missing something so I added a little ink blending to it, to help it stand out from the rest of the square.

With the shaker completed I moved onto the other elements of the card. I picked a light purple card base from my stash, then used the Simon Says Stamp Mod Flower Background Stamp and some Milled Lavender Distress Ink to add a tone-on-tone pattern to the card base. I then found some ribbon from my stash to add across the card base. The final elements I created were banners to go behind the shaker – one from a snippet of darker purple card and the other from the same blue mirror card that I had used to make shaker filler.

I added some tape runner to the back of the shaker and adhered the banners and ribbon directly to it. I then put a layer of strong double sided tape over the back of the shaker, on top of the ribbon, and attached the shaker to the card base. Using my craft knife I cut a couple of slits in the edge of the card so that I could tuck my ribbon through and adhere both ends on the inside of the card. I then took my craft tweezers and made sure the pop-up parts of the butterfly were properly popped, and the card was done.

I have mixed feelings about this card. It’s a bit different in style from what I normally prefer. I’m not sure I like how the shaker element turned out. It doesn’t shake very well, and the larger elements (the butterflies) don’t really show distinctly through so I feel like it was a bit of a waste of time using them as it’s not clear what they are. Still, every card is a learning experience, and I’ll do a better job on the next one!


Lady Joyful

Challenges included:

Addicted to Stamps and More – Anything Goes

Butterfly Challenge – Butterflies and Bingo Lines and/or Heather (the bingo line I chose was bling/butterfly/blooms) (edit – where it was chosen as a top pick!)

HLS Anything Goes With Dies – Anything Goes

MFT Camp Create Day 3 – Spectacular Shakers

Mojo Monday – Sketch/Layout

The Sisterhood of Crafters – Anything Goes

14 thoughts on “Pop-Up Butterfly Shaker

    1. This particular die cuts like that – it isn’t a complete cut so the butterfly pops up rather than coming out. You could probably do it with a regular die by selectively die cutting one side at a time and not hhr centre. Another way would be die cut it as usual then adhere it back in to the negative space do that the glue is only on the body and the wings are free. Hope that helps 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

      1. wow that was extreamly helpful thank you so very much 🙂 Will try it out soon i hope but am super busy making festive cards to build up a stock pile lol

        Liked by 1 person

      2. Glad I could help 😀 Great idea to build a stockpile. I’m doing mine every now and again throughout the year – I think I am on track with them so far at least 🙂


  1. This is georgeous. I love making shaker cards but when time is of the essence they often go by the board. Glad you had time to make this beauty. The butterfly looks great as the centre piece. Thank you for fluttering into my bingo challenge . Hugs Mrs A.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.