Pink is not a colour I usually turn to. I don’t dislike it, but it’s not on my list of favourite colours either. Purple is one of my favourite colours though, which may be why I ended up choosing pink shades that are more on the purple end of the spectrum for this fun and sparkly monochrome thank you card.
I started by creating my background panel. I pulled out the Simon Says Stamp Mod Flowers background stamp and three pinky-purple Altenew inks which I got in the Northern Lights Mini Cube set. I started by stamping the darkest colour, Purple Wine, in the corner of the stamp set and working my way across slightly. I blended the edge of the inking with a sponge and then added the Puffy Heart, moving further out across the stamp. I again blended the edge, then added the lightest colour which is Rose Quartz and blended a final time.
I then took a panel of white card and carefully laid it on top of the stamp, which I had laying flat on my craft table. I laid a piece of scratch paper over the top of the stamp and panel to protect my hands, then rubbed all over the back of the white panel. Once I removed the white panel the image was stamped with an ombre look fading to white. I realised I’d actually inked it the ‘wrong way’ – I had intended for it to be coming from the bottom left and fading towards the top right. But never mind!
Next I moved on to create my sentiment. I used the Pink & Main Thanks Dies and first cut the shadow die from a piece of vellum. I then cut the actual thanks word from some adhesive backed glittery fun foam that nicely matched the colours of my inks.
I removed the backing paper from the words and carefully adhered it to the the vellum, then added some Glossy Accents to the back of the vellum, keeping it hidden behind the lettering, before pressing it into place on the card base.
I then realised that my panel was actually too wide for my card base. I hadn’t measured the panel as I found it whole in my stash and had just assumed it was the right size… Lesson learned – don’t assume! Thankfully it worked out in my favour. As I was measuring up the panel to work out how to trim it down I realised that my sentiment was off-centre, and I was able to fix it with the trimming.
Whilst I was cutting the panel down anyway I decided to trim it to be a bit shorter than my card base. I then used the direct to paper technique to colour the exposed areas of the card base to match the stamping on my focal panel. I used the Purple Wine ink for this. I then popped up the panel on foam tape and adhered it into place on the card base.
Despite it not going exactly to plan I’m really happy with how this card turned out. The ombre effect with the flowers worked really nicely, and the sparkly sentiment sets it off beautifully. Actually I’m impressed with how well the sparkly foam matches the ink I used for the flowers. Having that in my stash was definitely a happy accident!
Dies R Us – Anything Goes With Dies
HLS Anything Goes With Dies – Anything Goes
Camp Create Campfire – Awesome Ombre
The Flower Challenge – Focus on Background Stamping
Uniko Challenge – Flowers