It’s time for a new Cupcake Inspiration Challenge. We’re definitely getting into a Halloween mood with this prompt – monsters! We don’t really celebrate Halloween here, but I still love making creepy-cute cards.
I started out by creating my background. This was inspired by a video from Channin over on the Waffle Flower Crafts YouTube channel. I don’t have a very large selection of Distress Inks (or Oxides) so I only used one colour – Spiced Marmalade. I pressed the ink pad onto a piece of acetate, spritzed it with water, then “smooshed” it onto a panel of watercolour paper that I had cut to be a little smaller than my card base. I repeated the smooshing, drying in between some of the layers, until I was happy with the look of it.
Once the smooshed panel was completely dry I used my ruler to draw two intersecting lines across the panel, then cut along the lines with my trimmer. I cut down a piece of black paper to be the exact size of my card base and used some double sided tape to adhere the pieces of the smooshed panel to the black paper. I attached the smooshed paper directly into each corner, leaving a black cross in the split section.
I then moved on to creating my monsters. I placed all the images from Lawn Fawn’s Monster Mash stamp set into my MISTI and stamped them onto a snippet of white card using MFT Black Licorice Hybrid Ink. I then coloured them all in with my Yosoo alcohol markers. I actually used rainbow colours as my inspiration for colouring the images, though I didn’t want it to necessarily be obvious that I had done so.
After colouring all the little monsters I fussy cut them out. I then started laying them out onto my background panel to decide how I wanted to use them. I wasn’t originally planning on using all the images, but in the end decided that I would. Once I was happy with them I used Glossy Accents to adhere them in position. I then put the panel back into my MISTI and added my sentiment.
I used some extra wide double sided tape to attach the panel to my card base. I then contemplated whether to finish there. After consulting with my husband (who insisted that I didn’t even need to ask such a silly question!) I decided to add googly eyes to all of the monsters that had open eyes. And then my card was complete!
I’m very pleased with this card. I particularly like the colouring of the two green monsters (which my husband and I keep referring to as slimes) – I took extra care to get the shadows into their folds. I did the same on the wings of the red monster too. I enjoyed making the background as well – it’s a fun technique and I imagine I will use it in future too.
CAS On Friday – Fall/Halloween
CASology – Odd (I think these little monsters look kind of odd with their crazy eyes!)
Cupcake Inspirations – Monsters
Sasayaki Glitter – Orange
STAMPlorations CAS Card Challenge – CAS and Optional: Orange
Uniko Challenge – Autumn and Optional: Halloween
Check out what the rest of the DT made:
Charlotte (that’s me!)