The current challenge at Cupcake Inspiration is “pretty in pink”. The challenge is now halfway through and there have been lots of lovely pink entries already. There are still a few more days to enter, and by doing so you will be in for a chance win a prize from our sponsor, Kitty Bee Designs.
For my card I started by creating my background. I used Frosty Pink ink from Altenew to swipe across the background of my card in evenly spaced intervals. I then used Delicata Pink Shimmer to add a narrower line of ink above each of the original swiped lines. I then set my card base aside.
I used a snippet of Neenah 80lb card stock to die cut my floral elements, using the Altenew Build-A-Flower: Sakura Blossoms dies. I then placed each piece at a time into the negatives in my MISTI, positioned the stamps over top, and stamped them each in turn. I used the same ink for each of the layers, given a subtle look to the flowers. For the flowers themselves I used the Frosty Pink again, and for the leaves I used Mountain Mist.
Instead of stamping the central element of the flowers I pressed the die cut pieces into a Catherine Pooler Twilight ink pad to colour them. I then used Bubblegum Blush Nuvo Drops to add dots to the centres as well as to the ends of the stamen. I should have waited to do this at the end, as it made assembling the card much more difficult.
With all my floral elements ready I started working out how I wanted the flowers arranged. I realised that they were getting a bit lost against the background so I cut a panel of vellum to be just smaller than my card base. I layered the vellum over the card base, which softened the background and helped the flowers to stand out more.
Once I had the arrangement planned out, I used liquid glue to adhere each of the floral elements into place. I carefully added the centres onto the tops of the flowers. I then add a sentiment, cut from another snippet of white with a Marianne Designs die. As I had with the flower centres I coloured the die cut elements by pressing into the Twilight ink. I then adhered it to the vellum, and added adhesive behind all my die cut pieces on the back of the vellum before adhering the whole thing to my card base.
This card was a lot of fun to make and I really like the softness of the flowers that can be achieved by using the same ink for each of the layers. I would have preferred a more elegant font for the sentiment, but I did not have a suitable die for that. If I had planned ahead I would have instead used a sentiment from the stamp set as they are quite elegant looking, but as I already had the Nuvo Drops in place I did not want to risk adding any stamping in case I smudged it.
*Affiliate links may have been used in this post. For more details on affiliate links as well as other ways to support me, visit this page.*
AAA Birthday Challenge – For The Girls
Cupcake Inspiration Challenge – Pretty In Pink
Dies R Us – Birthday
The Birthday Project – Birthday Bouquet
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday – Make Your Own Background
The Flower Challenge – Pretty Pastels
Check out what the rest of the DT made:
Charlotte (that’s me!)