It has been a while since I last made a floral card. This one isn’t purely floral, but it does have flowers on it, so it counts! I had wanted to post this earlier today but, well… I hadn’t made it. I should have started earlier in the day. Oh well. The important thing is that I’m crafting more regularly again.
Large Flower – MG1, MG3, DR3
Coffee Sleeve- MG1, PP2
Coffee Cup – GB2, Blender
Leaves & Lid – LG1, LG3
Small Flowers – IG2, CT4, GB4
I started by placing a large a snippet of X-Press It Blending Card, which is alcohol marker friendly, into my MISTI. I then stamped Unity Stamp Company’s Spring To Go onto it with MFT Black Hybrid ink. I then got started on my colouring using Spectrum Noir Illustrator markers.
I didn’t have a plan initially with regards to what colours I wanted to use. I checked my colour chart and decided on pink for the large flower as my starting point. You can see the exact colours I have used to the left. I wasn’t too concerned about the light direction, instead just trying to make sure there are sections of light and dark.
For the daisy-like flowers I added just a touch of grey for some simple shading, and then made the centres yellow. I used the same yellows to colour up the teeny tiny dot flowers. I stayed traditional with green for the leaves.
As I moved onto the coffee cup I didn’t want to bring in too many more colours. I decided to use the same greens as the leaves to colour the lid and the base of the cup, and used pinks for the sleeve. For the cup I went with a caramel shade, using just one colour, the blender pen and several layers to build it up until I was happy with it. I used the same caramel and blender combination to add some grounding beneath the image.
Initially I stamped one of the sentiments from the same stamp set below the coffee cup, then die cut with one of the Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Oval dies. After doing that though I realised that I had messed up on two points. Firstly, I had been planning to make a birthday card, and the sentiment I’d stamped was not a birthday sentiment. And secondly, the oval was too big for the sketch I was planning to use.
Luckily it was relatively easy to remedy my mistake. I took the oval die in the next size down and lined it up so that it would still fit the image, and cut off most of the sentiment from the bottom. It did leave a slight double line of stitching at the top of the oval, but it doesn’t bother me too much.
Whilst I was considering how to finish up this card I stumbled across a leafy branch ephemera that I got in an old Love From Lizi card kit. The ephemera is from the American Crafts Shine On Collection. There are actually two branches but as I knew I would be tucking it behind the image I was able to just use the one by cutting it in half and hiding the gap behind the oval. I held it in place on the back with some washi tape, and added a layer of snippets of white card onto the back of the oval to very slightly pop it up over the level of the branch. I then adhered the whole thing to my pink card base, and trimmed off the overhanging pieces of the foliage.
I still needed to hide the remnants of the partial sentiment at the bottom of the oval. I considered using black card for the sentiment strip, but decided it would be better to match the kraft colour of the foliage. I didn’t have any card that was a perfect match, but I had another look through the ephemera and found a piece that I knew I wouldn’t use as intended. I flipped it over and trimmed it to a rectangle, then stamped a simple sentiment from Altenew’s Super Script with white pigment ink. The rectangle was a bit larger than I wanted, so I used the MISTI Cut Align to trim it down further.
Before adhering the sentiment panel down I needed to add a little dimension on either end so that it wouldn’t bow where it was going over the oval. I used a couple of the leaf centres I’d popped out of my foliage and adhered one to either end of the back of the sentiment strip, then glued it into place.
Despite the mishap, I’m pretty pleased with this card. I do wish I’d had a lighter pink to use for the card base, but otherwise I think it came together nicely. Maybe I’m just missing white card bases… I have been out of white card for card bases for a while, and hadn’t bought more because I wasn’t crafting. Now that I’m getting my motivation back I should probably think about ordering some!
| Charlotte E (Lady Joyful) |
*Affiliate links may have been used in this post. For more details on affiliate links as well as other ways to support me, visit this page.*
Addicted to Stamps and More – Birthdays
Seize The Birthday – Anything Birthday Goes
Tuesday Morning Sketches – Sketch
Unity Show & Tell Facebook Challenge – All Things Floral