A while ago I made this card (which also has a video). I loved it, it had a good reception on social media, and I’ve been wanting to revisit the concept. I don’t have a snowflake die large enough to exactly copy it, but I came across a decently sized one when going through old Love From Lizi kits, and figured I’d give it a try. I ended up with three cards made in the process!
First I started by creating an alcohol inked panel to use for the background strip, following much the same technique as I’d used on the original card. I had a sheet of vellum and added alcohol inks in Stream and Pistachio, as well as alcohol pearl ink in Tranquil. I only used the Pistachio once as I felt it was too green, but the other colours I kept adding in layers, alternating with blending solution, and spritzing with my puffer tool until u was happy with how it looked. I then set the sheet aside to dry.
Next I searched through my specialty papers and pulled out a bunch of snippets, some with mirror finish, others glittered, and some pearlised. I chose ones in shades of blues, silver and white. I also took some snippets of vellum. I then spent quite a long time running these through my Mini Blossom die cutting machine with a couple of dies from previous Love From Lizi card kits. The smaller one is actually a flower I think, from the Sending Love Swan Cutting Dies set. The larger one doesn’t seem to be available there any more, but you could use any snowflake dies you have. There are some great options here if you’re in need of some.
Once I had plenty of snowflakes die cut (though, as it turned out, not as many as I would have liked!) I started on assembling the cards. First I layered up my large snowflakes as I preferred the way they looked. I adhered two together at a time, turned to be offset from one another. I wasn’t too worried about the way I layered them, though I tried to not adhere two blue together, or two glittered snowflakes together, so that they wouldn’t seem too samey.
I cut the vellum panel into strips that were 4cm wide (a little over 1.5″) which gave me 7 strips to play with. I only made three cards in the end, but I may well die cut more snowflakes to use to make some more cards with the other strips. Working a card at a time I positioned a strip through the middle of the card, holding it in place with washi tape whilst I played around positioning the snowflakes. For each card I used five large snowflakes, with the two outermost overhanging the edges, and five snowflakes arranged in between.
I used Press N Seal to hold the snowflakes in the correct arrangement once I was happy with them. I then put Glossy Accents onto the back of the snowflakes, keeping it on the inner edges so that it would only adhere to the vellum. I positioned them back onto the vellum, pressed them into place and removed the Press N Seal. I then flipped the vellum over and added more Glossy Accents, hiding it behind the snowflakes on the vellum, and also adding to the bits of the larger snowflakes that went beyond the vellum so that they would adhere to the card base. With glue on the back of everything I positioned the vellum back into place and adhered the whole lot down to the card base. I trimmed off the overhanging pieces, reusing the partial snowflakes as the edge ones on the next cards, and setting the offcut vellum aside for future use.
I absolutely love how these turned out! They aren’t exactly what I was thinking of when I initially was planning these in my mind. I’d been wanting to make like a swirling S of snowflakes around/across the strip of alcohol inked vellum, but I quickly realised the snowflakes I had were too busy to work like that. The solution I came up with definitely worked out nicely! I have a handful of the big snowflakes (mostly in blue) and lots of the little snowflakes left, and as mentioned still some strips of the vellum. I plan to die cut more of the bigger snowflakes so that I can make even more of these cards.
| Charlotte E (Lady Joyful) |
*Affiliate links may have been used in this post. For more details on affiliate links as well as other ways to support me, visit this page.*
Addicted to Stamps and More – Die Cuts and/or Stencils
CAS Mix Up – Alcohol Inks on Vellum
Crafty Catz – Anything Goes and Optional: Christmas In July
Crafty Gals Corner – Christmas In July
Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge – Anything Christmas and Optional: Use a Die Cut
Krafty Chicks Challenge – CAS
Moving Along With The Times – Cool It Down
Sparkles Christmas Challenge – Snowflakes
Sweet Stampin’ – Make Your Own Background
The House That Stamps Built – Christmas in July