After yesterday’s multitude of patterned paper Christmas cards I thought today I’d go with something more clean and simple. Actually, I was working on another batch of patterned paper cards, but knew I wouldn’t be able to get the batch finished and photographed in time to share today. So this is what I came up with for today’s post.
I started by digging out some snippets of white card, making sure they were the same card as my card base so that the white would match. I used my Fiskars Paper Trimmer to cut one of the snippets in half to use as my focal point. I cut the other three times with one of the MFT Stitched Banner dies. For the first two I positioned the die just slightly hanging off the edge of the snippet, which made the banners slightly shorter than full length and avoided cutting the stitched line on the end. The third banner I used partial die cutting to lengthen the banner.
With the focal panel I took a Simon Says Stamp die from an old card kit (I can’t seem to find a link for the die, sorry) and cut it into my focal panel. I then took the other half of the cut down snippet, put double sided tape on it, and sandwiched it onto the back of the die cut panel which then held all the pieces in place.
I’d intentionally positioned my die towards the top of my panel which allowed space for me to add a sentiment below it. I checked the Color My Life app to see what sentiments I had that might work, and decided to use one from Art Impressions’ Penguin Cheer stamp set. (By the way, if you’re shopping at Art Impressions, they have just started a “Deal Of The Week” which run through to Sunday.) I stamped the sentiment with Versafine Onyx Black ink.
Having completed all my elements I adhered them onto the card base with liquid glue. I first attached the banners, using the grids on my craft mat to help me with the spacing. I then adhered the focal panel over the top. Finally I added a fluffy red pom-pom to the reindeers nose for a pop of colour and interest.
I rather like how this turned out. It’s definitely clean and simple, and the pom-pom adds such fun to the design. I did have some trouble with die cutting the deer, as the antlers are quite intricate and didn’t want to cut cleanly. I used my metal shim and that ended up being a little too much so all the cut marks on my (well used) plates embedded into the panel… Thankfully they’re not too obvious unless you look very closely. Next time I use it I’ll try shimming with paper instead of the metal shim.
| Charlotte E (Lady Joyful) |
*Affiliate links may have been used in this post. For more details on affiliate links as well as other ways to support me, visit this page.*
Build Your Stash Holiday Cardmakers Hop – Christmas In July
Christmas With The Cuties – Clean and Simple
Dare 2B Artzy Challenge – Christmas In July
The Paper Players – Sketch