Given that today is Star Wars day I figured it’s a good time to finally share the card I made for my husband’s birthday. I first saw this card (or a very similar one) over on Pinterest, from Chlo’s Craft Closet. When I saw it I knew I had to have a go at making it.
First I hunted down some silhouettes for the figures. Then I adjusted them to the size I wanted and printed them out. I actually printed a few extra copies in case I messed up. In the end I didn’t need the extras.
Having printed the silhouettes I stuck them each onto appropriately coloured card – green for Yoda, white for the Stormtrooper, and black for Vader. Then I fussy cut each silhouette which was a very time-consuming process. I nearly gave up once or twice because it was so fiddly, but it was worth it in the end!
Next I cut the mirrored cardboard to size. I did this by laying the card base against it and using that as the template to mark the size. Then I used my rotary paper-cutter to cut it out. Then I cut the patterned black paper to be just smaller than the mirrored cardboard.
I worked out the size for the backing cardboard behind each figure. To do this I measured the black paper and subtracted the margins I wanted. With the size worked out I cut three rectangles. Using the same size I typed and printed the wording for the final panel. I found the font online because I wanted to use the ‘proper’ Star Wars font. Of course any font could work. I stuck the printed wording onto a piece of white card for added strength.
Then it was just a case of assembly. Positioning was pretty difficult. I have improved somewhat since I made this (back in January!) but it’s still something I struggle with. The margins here aren’t as neat as I would have liked, but it looks okay. I used dimensionals to attach the figures to give them a bit of volume.
I’m so happy with how this card turned out. I think if I were to do it again now I would make some minor changes, but for the most part I think it worked out very well. Husband liked it, and Sampson seemed to too!